Client since its inception has been at the forefront of technology and has steered the course of the telecom sector in the country with its world class products and services.
Client’s DSL subscriptions were growing at rapid pace in Tamil Nadu circle. The Operations Support System (OSS) is buckling down and is not able to scale up to the growing needs. The OSS was built in-house 5 years back and was developed on primitive version of one of the free database - MySQL. In order to meet the growing needs, as a first step, Client decided to migrate the database of OSS from MySQL 3.x to Oracle 10g, a leading database for enterprise applications. The key to making this operation efficient Client approached Sigma Infosolutions.
Client is a leading global telecommunications company with operations in 19 countries across Asia and Africa. The company offers mobile voice & data services, fixed line, high speed broadband, IPTV, DTH, turnkey telecom solutions for enterprises and national & international long distance services to carriers. Client has been ranked among the six best performing technology companies in the world by business week. Client had 200 million customers across its operations.
OSS for TN region has several limitations relating to its database such as:
- Maintaining application is tedious as one needs to know quite older version of database and which doesn’t support some of the basic operations like sub-queries, stored functions etc. and thus in order to maintain the application,programmer needs to apply some of the workarounds which makes application more fragile.
- Carrying out enhancements and tweaks to application are more effort intensive and error prone as MySQL 3.x has lot of limitation in various SQL syntax like Stored Procedures, sub-query etc. support is not there in 3.x version.
- 90% of reports can not be generated or take a very long time, making application unusable at times. Due to erroneous data model and slow query retrieval engine of MySQL 3.x, this issue is being faced right now.
- With the growing number of subscriptions, scalability of OSS is big roadblock as data retrieval engine in MySQL 3.x is quite primitive and thus with larger set of data, retrieval would become even slower.
- As current data model is not optimized and tuned, Analytical reporting/Dashboard not possible with current database structure. Oracle has many inbuilt features like Materialized views etc. to take care of analytical needs of application.
- In current application creation of data dump is not efficient and thus data requirements of legal department are not easy to fulfill.
- User Interface design not intuitive; options are cluttered on screen, no
separate “tabs” to operate on logically grouped options.
Sigma Infosolutions’ development team successfully compiled the architecture required for the project and followed waterfall model ensuring that the integration of the system
proceeds along with user testing.
Key Modules Developed
o Mapping of complex relationships from disparate sources
o Faster retrieval of data from OSS
o Fast scale up and maintaining the application became easier as it is now compatible with latest version of Oracle
o Better and standard way of data retrieval architecture was applied
- Oracle Database 10g
- 35% cost savings on functionality development
- Complete set of data, functioning alarms in real-time
- Ongoing operating costs at or better than budget
- Low system overhead and lower support costs
- Monthly technical availability is more than 99%
Oracle 10g offers many more new features of the shelf and this reduces the efforts needed to carry out enhancements in the future. Many of these have been proposed to Client in the approach document from Sigma and can be included in later phases.
Performance tuning in practice; a hands on approach